Most households use products cleaning and gardening that contain chemicals to do their jobs. Some of these chemicals can cause hair loss or major medical issues if ingested or in some cases, on contact. Heavy metals or heavy toxins like lead, mercury, iron, and copper can be found in paints, electrical work, arts and crafts, or any other activity that may create metal fillings. Common household pesticides can contain arsenic or formaldehyde, which can also cause hair loss.
In order to prevent accidental ingestion, it is important to always keep any toxins stored away from pets and children and to always take the proper precautions when using harsh chemicals like using gloves. Always read the product directions before using so that you understand the risk and how to safely use the product. If you think you may have ingested a toxic material, call your local poison control center or emergency center for information. Most toxins can extremely dangerous, even in small quantities. If you think your hair loss is caused by chemical ingestion or toxic contact, we suggest that you seek your physician to identify the causes and possible treatments.
If after seeing your physician, you believe you may be experiencing permanent hair loss or balding, Bosley suggests that you make an appointment for a free consultation. During this consultation, a Bosley Professional can help you understand your hair loss and the available treatment options.